Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Only Vintage Photo Tool

Canon AE - 1 with Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 and my front yard reflected by the focusing system inside.
I borrowed this from my uncle last month. Its a Canon AE-1 manual focus SLR (No D, which stands for "D"igital on "DSLR"). After getting used to all-automatic DSLR - where I only need to set Auto ISO, AWB, +A3 / +A5 WB tweak, and P or AV occasionally - and just shoot with no concern, using this all-manual film SLR requires me some adaptation. Note that I said ALL-MANUAL, I have to set the shutter speed, and aperture manually, I have to focus manually, the ISO is of course determined by my choice of film, I have to roll the film manually, and I even have to pull the lever manually before each shot. The metering system is the only thing that is automated and require battery.
Look, no LCD, and there is the manual film roller at the top left
But using this manual old stuff - despite being far from convenient - is actually quite fun. Because I got the chance to experience the old-school shooting ergonomic - that is right index finger at shutter speed, and left index and thumb at focus and aperture ring - instead of using the right thumb and index to dial my 50D.

Black round shutter button, shutter speed dial control, film indicator, and the long film roll lever to set the shutter into ready position (I don't know what it called)
So the step to shoot with it is:
  1. Determine the shutter speed that you want to use with your right index.
  2. Look through the viewfinder and direct the metering area at the center to the area that should represent the mid-balance of the exposure (mid point of the brightest and darkest area of the frame) or to an area that you want/need to expose correctly.
  3. Look at the aperture needle at the viewfinder, that should point the aperture required for correct exposure, and set the aperture ring accordingly.
  4. In brighter condition, you have the freedom to choose the shutter speed and aperture accordingly to the effect that you desire.
  5. Focus to the area that you want to be in focus.
  6. Pull the lever with your right thumb.
  7. Shoot
A long and tiring process don't you think. But I guess I'll be able to adapt with the passing of time, and hence shoot faster with it.

All vintage metal body luxury instead of contemporary plastic capitalist economy. Look at the film roller at the top right
Other things that I like from this extinct species is that it is made with full-metal body, and the build quality if EXCELLENT!!. It's small, but heavy just enough to be comfortable in my hands and feels very solid too. It is far from the lunch-box-style plastic of the rebel class, or worse, the super rebel 1000D and 1100D class. I might even say that it's still better then my 50D in terms of solidness. The focusing ring of the FD 50mm is also very very solid, no play at all, and it's full metal too. My uncle claims that it's a very sharp lens with a very very nice tone, but I haven't seen the result yet, so I'll wait for my result before I say anything about it.
Canon FD 50mm F/1.4 completed with aperture ring, distance scale, and DOF meter
Look at the multiple-rectangular shape inside the lens. its the manual focusing screen, along with my front yard too.
Being impatient to give it a go, I bought the first film that I could find at Citraland Mall (CL) - The Kodak Color Plus ISO 200, 36 exp.


I bought Kodak because the Fuji at CL didn't sell film any more. Well, some says that Kodak colour is slightly warmer compare to fuji, which is good, because I like warm saturated colour. Now I'll only have to wait for shooting opportunity that worth the expense of my film. Yes, film is pretty much costly, because I need not only to buy the film, but also to process it, and scan it to digital for better storage. Kodak studio at CL provide film processing and scanning service, but I don't know the scanning quality though. I'll sure post the result here if I've finished the whole film roll and have it scanned.

Wow, I was first only intended to show the picture of this camera, but end up making a small review, I guess I'm naturally too chatty...Bah.

2 comments:

  1. keren..
    topiknya keren,cara menulisnya juga asyik,mengalir,gampang dicerna
    papa ku juga punya 2 kamera SLR jadul
    entah seri apa tapi merek nya Nikon dan Olympus,asli beli di jepang..
    tau deh kondisinya sekarang masih oke apa dah jamuran..
    tau tempat servis yang oke di jakarta ron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tshankyouuu :D

    Wah, asal masih tersimpan baik bisa di service and pake tuh..untung om gue nyimpennya bener2 terawat (secara dia forografer juga)..jadi langsung bisa gue pake..

    Humm..tempat service kurang tau..stau gue seluruh urusan kamera tua kayak gini, mulai dari oprek, barang second, ampe film nya ada di PasarBaru..tp gue sendiri blom pernal jajal tuh tempat...

    Anyway, ini siapa ya?seseorang yg gue kenal?

    ReplyDelete